Monday, August 21, 2006






I went whale watching this weekend. I saw a Sea Lion in the marina just swimming around all the boats like he owned them all. This is an unusual site to see in the marina and in Long Beach. Before going out to sea I stopped to visit the Aquarium and got some shots of one of my many favorite birds the Puffin. He is another maritime clown. The ride out to see was met with strong winds, making it difficult to stand and walk on deck. The boat was rocking quite a bit and pitching about 30 degrees. We passed the Queen Mary, the Carnival Cruise liner, the Russian Submarine, Scorpion and the shipping yards. The cranes you see inspired George Lucas to create some of his creatures in Star Wars. They look like primitive dinosaurs, at least that’s what they remind me of whenever I look out the windows from work. It was challenging to photograph the pelicans in flight while the boat was rocking, and the wind made it difficult to stand. Before going into the open ocean I was able to get some photos of the harbor seals. We encountered 4 whales and I only was able to get one shot not so good. The whales were not that active and would just rise out of the water a bit. The boat was too crowded, and it turned into a vomitorium (Vomit was everywhere) Several people got sick.

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard Yu said...

Puffin...I love it so much, it looks so funny!!
Did you saw it in Long beach area?

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home